To celebrate Flag Day, I dedicated my day to creating a floral appliqué wreath of an American Flag using a palette of red and white “Permanent Botanicals” (otherwise known as Silk Flowers).
With its strong iconography and bold, graphic intensity, Flag by Jasper Johns is a wonderful source of inspiration, especially throughout the string of Red, White, and Blue Holidays extending from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Check out my DIY Stars & Stripes Placemat that I designed for my DIY Memorial Day Picnic spread.
Once complete, you’ll want to show off this glorious slice of Americana – mount
it proudly on your door, a wall, or above your mantle to celebrate Flag Day and
Independence Day each and every day!
Stars & Stripes Wreath Tools & Construction Materials
- White Silk Flowers (approximately 140 buds) – I used a variety of shapes and textures of 2 to 3 inch diameter bright white flowers to create movement within each white stripe of my Flag wreath, including Magnolias, Azaleas, Roses, and Carnations – available at your local Dollar Tree store
- Red Silk Flowers (approximately 140 buds) – I used a variety of hues and textures of 2 to 3 inch diameter red flowers to give some depth to each stripe of red on my Flag, including Burgundy Dahlias, Crimson Roses, Two-toned Deep Red Roses, Mini Red Tea Roses, and Carnations – available at your local Dollar Tree store
- 50 White, 5-Petaled Silk Flowers – I used silk Stephanotis to create the stars on my Stars and Stripes Wreath – available at your local Michaels craft store
- All-Purpose Spray Adhesive – available at your local Walmart or craft store
- 1.5 inch Red Ribbon – I chose a rich, red grosgrain ribbon – available at your local Walmart or craft store
- Blue Nylon or Satin Flag Fabric – get enough fabric to wrap completely around the front and sides of your Styrofoam
base – available at your local Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts store
- Velcro Picture Hanging Strips – available at your local Walmart or hardware store
- Styrofoam Sheet – choose a sheet large enough and proportional to the size Flag you want to make – available at your local Michaels or craft store – FYI: I went to Home Depot and got a 8 foot by 2 foot sheet of 2 inch thick Styrofoam, then cut out my 24 inch by 45 inch
Flag-shaped rectangle from it
- Pearl Pins – available at your local Walmart, Michaels, or craft and sewing stores
Stars & Stripes Wreath Instructions
- Now, if you’re like me and must produce a proportionally exact replica of Old Glory, then you might want to download this US Flag pattern with proportional dimensions I found at http://www.usflag.org/flag.specs.html to help you calculate your measurements.
- FYI: I chose 2 to 3 inch diameter flowers, which required the stripes on my flag be 1 7/8 inches wide, making the overall dimensions of my flag 24 inches wide (A: the Hoist) and 45 inches long (B: the Fly). The width of the blue field of stars (the Union) should be 7 times the width of one stripe and the length should be 10 times the stripe width, making my Union 13 inches wide by 18 inches long.
- HINT: If you prefer to make a smaller Flag Wreath, half the size of mine (12 inch wide by 23 inch long), use 1 to 2 inch diameter flowers and make your stripes 7/8 inch wide and your Union 6.5 inches wide by 9 inches long.
- Spray a light coat of Spray Adhesive on one side of your Styrofoam Sheet and cover the front and sides with blue fabric
- Trim off any excess fabric, fold your corners neatly, and glue and pin your fabric to the back
- Trim the edges of your Styrofoam Sheet by pinning one continuous piece of ribbon around the outside
- HINT: start and finish pinning your ribbon on the top edge so the seam won’t be visible
- OPTIONAL: using pearl pins and thread mark the center lines of your 13 stripes and the Union zone for your Stars
- Pluck your Red and White flowers from their stems, push a pearl pin through the plastic center-hole of each flower, and pin them onto your Flag to create the Stripes (7 Red & 6 White)
- Pin your 50 floral Stars in the Union zone
- OPTIONAL: trim the top and left edges of the Union with white flowers
- Hang your Flag Wreath with Velcro Picture Hanging Strips and embrace the glory and majesty of your creation!