Transform a plain glass vase (or votive candle holder) into pure fabulous, using nothing but ribbon, fabric, and some crafty handiwork with craft glue – no sewing required!. I created these patriotic votive sleeves out of small flags to set the mood for my 4th of July festivities. With this simple “make-over” technique you can re-dress any ordinary vase to match any party or holiday décor.
These brilliant vase sleeves were also featured in my DIY 4th of July Fireworks project for Independence Day.
Tools & Construction Materials
- Glass vase or votive holder
- Spray adhesive or craft glue
- Fabric Swatches: I used small American
Flags I picked up at my local Walmart
- Battery-Operated LED Candles –
available at your local Walmart or Michaels
- Decorative Ribbon: I used 5/8 inch
- Prepare enough fabric panels to cover your vase (or votive candle holder) and cut strips of ribbon to use as “tape” between your panels of fabric
- Put glue on one side of each strip of ribbon and then “tape” your panels of fabric together using the strips of “ribbon tape” you just made, creating one continuous sheet of fabric to wrap around your vase
- Flip your “sheet” of fabric over and place your vase on it
- Wrap your fabric around the vase and run a bead of glue down the strip of ribbon
- Finish wrapping the other side of your fabric “sheet” around your vase and glue it to the sticky ribbon
- Put a votive in your vase, light it off, and get the party started